Minutes Saturday 3 December 2011, 4pm, Flagstaff Gardens
Participants: Kevin, Kade/Joel
Acknowledgment that we are on Aboriginal land and sovereignty has never been ceded.
Explanation of process and hand signals.
Proposed Agenda –
- Working Group Report Backs
- Working Group Proposals
- Individual Proposals
Working Group (WG) report backs –
- Unsettled nature of occupation site has impacted upon media team’s ability to function.
- Proactive approach now required by Media team – external media interest is becoming less active.
- Timing of publicity had been discussed in WG meeting.
- Encourage more citizen journalism – promoting social media activity (ie. blogging/tweeting).
- Media team currently in transition period.
- Main objective: to bring more people into the movement physically and emotionally; attract more attention.
- Citizen Journalism workshops will be held in future (or ask a fellow occupier who knows)
- #OMEL – Twitter hashtag.
- NEXT MEETING: 2.30pm Saturdays (At Occupation Site)
First Aid and Care
- WG appreciated feedback from discussion at previous GA
- Developing a safer spaces proposals in conjunction with Kenji.
- NEXT MEETING: 2pm Sunday 4/12 (At Occupation Site)
- Continuing to work on improving process.
- Acknowledgement of perception that the WG has appeared exclusive and reaffirmation that all are welcome and very much needed to participate and join.
- Pre-Assembly Facilitation meeting: 2pm Sunday 4/12 (At Occupation Site)
- Skillshare will be held to train new volunteers.
Tentative date: Mon 12/12, Location/Time: TBA.
- NEXT WG MEETING: 12pm Saturday
- Council disruptions continue.
- The occupation continues.
Working Group Proposals –
No proposals raised.
Individual Proposals –
Proposal: 30 mins prior to the start of each GA will be devoted to a substantive debate followed by a non-binding strawpoll. PASSED.
Proposal: To provide the overnight occupiers the ability to make strategic and logistic decisions when under duress. PASSED.
(following speakers for/against, speakers list)
Proposal: That OccupyMelbourne is not politically affiliated. NOT PASSED.
Proposal: Individuals and political/issues groups do not solicit for donations for their group (or sell anything). DEFERRED NOT PASSED
- Melbourne Free University to hold weekly discussion series starting this week: Tuesdays, 7.00-8.30pm, City Square.
- Education – visitor in attendance, Angelo, former worker of oil industry. Intention to have him speak to Occupy in the near future.
- Special Assembly for First Declaration of Occupy Melbourne:
Sunday 4 December (Tomorrow), 3pm, Flagstaff Gardens.